Safety is a partnership and everyone has a responsibility to the team to help make it a safe and enjoyable experience on the water. This session will help you understand all levels of water safety, from the responsibilities of the coaches and captains to the responsibilities of the individual paddlers, and regatta organizers. This session will also be an important opportunity for participants to learn about the various types of life jackets and to try them out in the pool. Inflatable life jackets will also be discussed, including demonstrations of their inflation in the pool. All questions will be answered.
Classroom Agenda (1-2 PM):
- Review of the Rusty Dragons Safety Plan.
- Hands-on discussion of various types of PFDs.
- Discussion on what happens when a boat capsizes.
- Review of typical Regatta Safety Plans.
- Waivers and individual health concerns / risks.
Pool Agenda (2-3 PM):
- Opportunity to try various PFDs in the water.
- Tread water challenge (3 minutes) - demonstrate conform in water.
- Exercises you can do in the water related to DB / laps for hose interested.