Latest News (October 12, 2017): Planning for the 2018 event starts Oct. 23 when the Dominion Day Regatta Association (DDRA) holds its AGM and first meeting to plan for the 2018 DDRA Canada Day Regatta on Sunday July 1, 2018. We introduced new components to the 2017 event that will be expanded upon and improved for 2018. The event will return to the Toronto Islands in 2018 (was moved to Welland in 2017 due to flooding on the Island).
But first, congratulations to all 19 teams participating on Canada's 150th birthday. Full race results for 2017 are HERE. This included...
> Mixed Division: 10 teams (A gold = SNCC Warlocks, A Silver = OPS Diversity EANG Dragons, A bronze = East West Dragons, B Gold = One Gorgeous Boat)
> Women's (200m) Division: 5 teams (included breast cancer survivor Flower Ceremony hosted by the Pink Crusaders)
> Spirit Challenge (250m) Division: 2 teams (held two weeks later at Balmy Beach as trevel to Welland was difficult for this large group)
> Men's (100m) Division: 2 teams
For any information on this event, please contact Tim@RustyDragons.ca for details. The team fees from 2017 were as follows:
> $850 per team for Community Division (three 500m races).
> $295 per team for Women's Sprint Race (one 200m sprint race).
> FREE for Spirit Challenge Race (one 200m race).
RECAP of what was NEW in 2017:
- The addition of a women's 250m sprint race (hosted by the Pink Crusaders breast cancer survivor team), followed by a Flower Ceremony.
- The addition of a men's 100m sprint race (also raising money for charity).
- The event will help raise awareness and funds for the Pink Crusaders breast cancer survivor team (some of whom will race in Italy in 2018).
- Anniversary souvenir event T-shirts will be sold to promote event and raise money for the charity.
- Registered Massage Therapists (RMTs) Keisha and Allison will be onsite providing 10 minutes massages, taking donations towards charity.